Cars, Bikes & Driving

Bringing Cars over from UK to Cyprus

LB writes in Cars, Bikes & Driving

Hi

I'm moving to Cyprus as soon as my house is sold and just wondered if anyone can give me advice on whether it is more cost effective to bring a car over to Cyprus or whether to buy one there. I'm not of retirement age so will not qualify for any tax exemptions etc. I have been told that 'on the road' prices for cars bought in Cyprus are a lot more expensive than the UK because of 'commodity taxeds. To be honest, the more I look into the situation, the more confusing it becomes. Can anyone please help? Many thanks.

Lesley

Posted on: 06/02/2008 at 20:22

Lesley

You will still be entitled to one duty free car (although not retiring) if you fulfil certain criteria - i.e have owned the car for at least 6 months, have done a certain about of mileage, can prove that you are becoming permanently resident in Cyprus (property deeds, long term tenancy agreement), and a few other points which escape my mind now. If you fulfil the criteria, you wont have to pay the import duty. However, should you later wish to sell the car you brought over, you will have a lot of hassle/jumping through hoops etc and you will have to pay the duty that would have been due when you imported it. You will have to pay registration fees if you do or do not pay the duty.

If you would like an idea of the duty and registration fees payable, then please email me the make, model, cc, date of first registration and CO2 emmissions of the vehicle and I will work it out for you. Failing that - use these links and see for yourself:

http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/Customs.nsf/All/1243C6ED164DC922C22572CF001CCAEA?OpenDocument This is a duty calculator from Customs here. Scroll down the page to pint 3.4 and example 2 - there you will find a link to the calculator.

http://www.paphosfinder.com/car/car-registration-fee-cyprus.htm This will let you know the registration fees payable (required to get Cypriot no.plates and tax the car).

Car prices here vary, particularly in the second hand market. You will have to work out how much it will cost you to bring your car over and compare it with prices of new vehicles for sale here. Lots of people will say it is not worth the hassle of bringing your car over - for me it totally depends on the type of car and how much you want to keep it.

Hope the above helps, Simon

Posted on: 07/02/2008 at 09:29

Hi, I moved here in Oct 07 and brought my car in my containor. It cost me £400 to have it in the containor but would have cost £500 on a roll on/off ship.

I am getting my car duty free as I am 56 and not working but on a works pension and fulfilled the other criteria for duty free.

Had 2 visits to Nicosia and I am told it will be approved and not having to provide any more infomation.

In my experience it has being easy to bring my car across and worth it financially due to what I would have lost on the sale in UK and buying here. Cars seems to be expensive and not sure I would buy a second hand car privatally here. Simons last comments are the best advice.

PB

Posted on: 07/02/2008 at 09:57

You can buy brand new cars with engines at 1.6 or below cheaper than in the UK. If you like cars with larger engines or you have one with plenty of life left in it, it may be worth bringing.

Posted on: 07/02/2008 at 12:02

Also remember you must have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months or more, otherwise you cannot export it to cyprus.

Posted on: 07/02/2008 at 12:06

quote kazanddave

You can buy brand new cars with engines at 1.6 or below cheaper than in the UK. If you like cars with larger engines or you have one with plenty of life left in it, it may be worth bringing.

==================================================

very true kazanddave ~ I bought a 1.6 masda brand new here and it was a couple of grand cheaper than buying the same car in the UK.

Bill

Posted on: 07/02/2008 at 12:32

Hi to everyone who has replied

Can't thank you all enough for the advice and recommendations re:bringing my car over. Just wish I could sell my house yesterday so that I could be over there with you all now.

Many thanks again

Lesley

Lesley

Posted on: 07/02/2008 at 21:15

Latest Blog

Welcome to the new Education Blog

From the blog, Education is the Key to Success

Allow me to introduce myself. My alias is Ed Blogger and my aim is to bring together a wide range of... Read more

Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Featured Information

Useful Contacts

Useful Contacts

Find out about services and government organisations that play a part in moving to Cyprus.

Read more...
Employment

Employment

Just hired, or looking for work? Find out about employment contracts, including benefits and legal requirements.

Read more...

Content Sponsor

CIGNA

Moving abroad? Get top quality international health insurance from CIGNA Global Health Options.... Find out more...

Triotech Group

Join thousands of Expats already enjoying FREE UK TV and Movies with the ClearStream Media... Find out more...

OlieServe

When a registered address is just not enough, let OLIESERVE take you to the next level with... Find out more...

AngloINFO needs your vote!
Vote for AngloINFO as Best Expat Website

Complete
The Expat Survey 2014
and vote for AngloINFO
on the final page