Pets & Animals

Dog Licence

ScattyAnnie writes in Pets & Animals

I've been reading various messages where people refer to having a dog licence. Can someone tell me if this is true, how much they are and where I'd get one. I'm moving to Cyprus in October and don't want to fall foul of any law. Thanx a lotl.

Posted on: 10/09/2010 at 22:40

Hi yes its right you do need to get a dog license you take your dog to a vets to register then they give you a document with the dogs microchip number on it and then you go to the goverment vets to register it in cyprus then you go to the municipal in the village that you live in and they get permission from the muchter to say you can get license it took me 2 weeks to get mine and it costs 20 euro a year hope this helps lynn

Posted on: 11/09/2010 at 08:56

we just went directly to the muktars office with our dogs passports and it was done straight away!

Posted on: 12/09/2010 at 10:36

The procedure is to take your pet passport(as you will already have one) to the local Government Veterinary department to have it registered free, on their computer as the microchip number needs to be recorded should your dog ever get lost. People fail to do this and so when we get animals which are micro chipped or tattooed, if not recorded at the Government Vet Dept, you will not be reunited with your animal and it could be euthanized or rehomed.
They will issue you a paper and you take this paper to your local Municipality(Council Office).This then costs you 20 euros to purchase a yearly licence for your dog. I would ask you to enquire where this money goes to and if they have a dog pound which by law they should have. Please do not believe all you are told and check on any information you are given, as I have seen too many lovely animals who have microchips,not been re united,and killed.
If the person at the shelter has time and the Government have time to check on vet batches of microchip numbers;can the chances be made better.but highly unlikely. Coming from abroad do not think automatically your micro chip details are put into the system!
I must emphasize that the law is 15 days from when a lost dog is taken by the authorities when it will be killed unless it is lucky to go to the few shelters which offer a No Kill policy. These places are already over full and volunteers desperately needed.
Also keep a note of an ever growing website Pets2adopt which lists missing/lost /found dogs and help them to build a central website in order to make people happy to have their dog back.They all work incredibly hard doing the job which the Government should be helping with.
Good Luck with your move.

Posted on: 15/09/2010 at 15:11

Thanx for the info. I will definitely go this route, I would be devastated if my boy ran off and got lost.

Posted on: 15/09/2010 at 16:01

Content Sponsor

Petz Stuff

UK run pet shops in Chlorakas (Paphos) and Episkopi (Limassol). Offering a huge variety of food,...
Find out more...

Moneycorp

If you need to send money overseas Moneycorp, the exchange experts, can help you make your money...
Find out more...

OlieServe

If you wish to stay on Cyprus and explore it, relocate with your family, set up a trading...
Find out more...

Become Member List your Business Blog For Us