Food & Drink

Traditional Cypriot Taverna

DottyLotty writes in Food & Drink

We are looking for a traditional cypriot village Taverna in the Paphos area. Can anyone recommend one that does a good meze which is reasonably priced.

Thank you.

Posted on: 14/06/2010 at 17:55

I can recommend 3 and they are not "touristy taverns"

1. Savvas Tavern - Peyia
Lovely couple who run it (Savvas and Eleni). Always had excellent food with Kleftico and Suckling Pig their specialities (but its all good)
Call them on 99619899

2. Peyia Tavern - Peyia
Run by Michallis and his wife. Best grilled meze you will have - the contents haven't changed in over 20 years
Call them on 26621077

3. 7 St. George's - Geroskipou
Run by George and his sons. Best non-grilled meze you will have. The contents change throughout the year with seasonal vegetables, etc. Nearly everything is grown by him and is almost all organic (including the wine). His policy - he will bring you food, until you say stop .. BUT .. leave some room for his DE-LICIOUS desserts.
Call him on 26963176 or 99655824

I have gone to all three regularly, some for over 18 years now, and have never had a bad meal.

I hope that helps you.

Posted on: 14/06/2010 at 20:16

i say go to misofougaro taverna in mesoyi just of polis road family run the owner is little old man and does his greek dancing on his own.

went there last thursday very nice and really good prices.

Posted on: 09/07/2010 at 13:20

Visited Sykaminia in A.Ambrosios, They have a BAR - Such fun! The place was buzzing so we splashed out on a meal of Ribs. The best! Once in London I tasted Ribs like this - Never expected to find them here in Cyprus. We got chatting to Christos and his grandson Chris who have just renovated the Taverna two months ago. The menu is great, T-Bone steaks - imported chilled! Going to try one of those next time. We finished with a lovely selection of fruit - on the house and a glass of wine but don't expect that - it's 'cos we are special!
Anyway we have decided to make it our local and pop in to the bar a few times a week to meet more lovely people ...... AND a Bottle of good House White is only €7.50 - in danger of not finding our way home!

Posted on: 08/10/2010 at 08:37

Hi,

Tried the 7 St Georges last summer and enjoyed it, however can you tell me where the Savvas Taverna is please.

Thank you.

Posted on: 09/05/2011 at 20:35

Savvas Tavern and Peyia Tavern are both in Peyia.

Coming from Paphos, as you get to Coral Bay on your left, you will see a turning on your right to Peyia and then a little roundabout - go sraight over the roundabout and carry on a kilometre or so until you find the second turning for Peyia on your right - the is a stone built park/cafe/restaurant there. Take that turning and follow the road up the hill heading into Peyia. Savvas Tavern will be on your left after about 1 km.

For Peyia Tavern, carry on past Savvas Tavern, into Peyia centre and just before the church you will see it on your right, across the road from The Mill which is a lovely reaxed bar - very non-pretentious with great service.

Posted on: 10/05/2011 at 05:15

We always go to the Taverna in Plataniskia. Food is excellent, reasonably priced. A family run taverna (Andrikos & Eleni). Well worth the scenic drive to a quaint village. Take the the road off the motorway to Avdimou and follow road straight up through Agios Thomas. You can sit outside eat your meal and enjoy the view. Just beautful!

Posted on: 17/05/2011 at 00:50
Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Featured Information

Schooling & Education

Schooling & Education

Find out about the Cypriot and international primary, secondary and university school systems.

Read more...
Useful Contacts

Useful Contacts

Find out about services and government organisations that play a part in moving to Cyprus.

Read more...